It’s been 48 hours since we officially rolled out the new low latency HTML5 video system on Vaughn Live. So far everything is looking very stable on the server side and mostly stable on the player side. Here are some known issues with the new HTML5 video player:
- Stream loads, plays, pauses, then resumes playing smoothly.
- Sometimes a black screen but with audio. Pause/Play or Refresh typically fixes that. **
- Fullscreen crops the video if you have your browser zoomed in (CTRL + 0 to reset browser zoom)
- Volume defaults to 100% when unmuting despite the pre mute volume being much lower.
- Volume will show as muted but not unmute when muted speaker is clicked if you unmuted the player in another tab.
- If a stream takes several seconds to load, this is due to you landing on a video edge server that hasn’t propagated the stream yet. This happens the most for streams with few live viewers or streams that have just gone live.
- If you see a message on the video player that says “Cannot watch this stream on this player Click here to watch on the Flash player”, this is not a browser issue. This is due to the broadcaster using the Go LIVE Now broadcast tool (aka MvnCaster) or incorrect encoder settings. These streams will have to be watched on the Flash player until the broadcaster corrects their issue.
So when will the rest of our sites get this new video player? More work needs to be done on the video player side before that happens. But we are very close!
** UPDATE: Fixed one of the causes of the black screen moments ago.